Friday, May 14, 2004

 

The Cultural Fest!



I was probably lucky enough to witness the Korean equivalent of what Antaragni is to Kanpur IIT-ians. It was in no way grander than our cul-fest but I'm sure it had a higher percentage of the fairer sex (actually - both the sexes are equally fair here in Korea :-)

While we were away eating beef, coccoons and black noodles (my welcome party!), I had missed quite a lot of the festivities. When I reached the Jigok Community Center it was time for the prof show - the only problem was that the pro had not yet arrived. So the amateurs were at it.

I was mildly drunk with a mug of beer and two shots of Sojo, and was in a jovial mood. Ran to my room and got hold of my point and shoot camera.

Well, there was this trio on the stage with two guitarists and a crooner and were singing some soft rock/pop number in Korean. It was good. And then there was another "band" consisting of a guitarist and a "lead singer". I guess they were all just students who had their own (sort of) bands.

Then came the big daddy of them all. The institute's official band. Man, they rocked! They rocked real good! One on the axe, one on the bass, a drummer, a female keyboardist and of course a frontman - a five member rock band.

After the mandatory sound check - those guys started with a bang - "Aint My Bitch" by Metallica. They were really good. More rock numbers. A couple in Korean. Oasis. Metallica. Iron Maiden. They did them all. And they kicked ass.

After about 8 songs - the stage was taken up by some famous Korean Pop Singer. That's when I split. The guy was singing without a live band - so that sucked quite big time for me.

Anyways - it was fun for my second day at POSTECH. And yeah - I clicked a lot of snaps - more than 20 I guess.... waiting for the reel to finish!

Laterz...

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?