Wednesday, May 12, 2004

 

The Odyssey Begins...



Welcome to this blog about all my trials and tribulations during my trip to Korea. I'm here for my summer internship at the POSTECH University in Pohang in the School of Environmental Sciences and Engineering. I'll try my best to jot down all the interesting (and not so interesting) indcidents that I have in Korea - though my memory might fail on me time-to-time.

It all begins in Delhi. After I messed up with my brand new Delsey suitcase. I was trying to change the number lock code... and the damn thing broke. Now I couldn't lock the suitcase neither could I shut it. Deep shit - right at the beginning. So, I go to the market and buy a big (plastic) rope to tie the damn thing up - and it started looking really really stupid. One smart suitcase with a dumbass rope on it. But hey, what the hell - at lease it got me here.

So next - I get dropped on the the airport by my folks. Righto - I'm on my own from here. First thing - I get the baggage "security wrapped"... now that's one thing you'll kick your ass for getting done. It's one big cellophene they'll put on your luggage and charge you a 100 bucks for it... you'll feel foolish!

Everyone was out there telling me that the baggage checkin, immigration and all will take quite a lot of time - so you must go to the airport early. Alright - I went at 9:00. Flight was 5 minutes past 12:00. I got through the whole damn affair in 30 minutes. I had to wait in there for 2 freaking hours. Man - was I bored.

The "Native" African
I saw this African family out there... I dont know where they were heading to - cuz there was no flight to Africa at that time. And I was staring at this small kid - all black with typical curly hair. She was about to say something to her brother (I guess) who had been making these awful noises for the past minute or so. I was expecting some weird sounding language to hit my ears and I hear.... Badtameez - Aisee awaaz nikaaloge to bahut maaroongi.... In the purest of Hindi accents that you would ever have heard!! Man - that was so funny!

Bangkok in a nutshell
Well... more to come for me... I boarded the plane - window seat. 5 mins getting comfy and - plonk! onto the seat next to me what do I have - A SARDAR - from Haryana. A typical Jat he didnt know a word of english. He was going to Bangkok (and so was the flight - Ha Ha - bad joke). He kept talking about Bangkok being a badhiya jagah - and then when he saw a smooch scene on the inflight movie - he goes nudge-nudge wink-wink - "yahi sab hota hai wahaan... koi rok-tok nahin hai. Pehli baar koi nahin karta - lekin doosri baar sabki tamanna hoti hai...". Well in a nutshell - that was Bangkok for me!

It was the first flight experience for me for as far as I can remember - I had flown once or twice earlier too - but that was waaaay long back. It's nice to feel a plane take off the sudden rush when the place accelerates down the runway and when you can feel it lifting off the ground. And when it turns in the air. It feels like a mild roller coster ride. And it was really nice looking at Delhi - from thousands of feet up in the air.

The flight was nice and comfortable - though I had trouble all along cuz my nose started bleeding. Well - the air hostesses suck! Thai Air - a big NO for air hostesses. I saw sassy Malaysian Airlines hostesses at the Delhi airport. They were wearing a nice traditional and colorful dress and were all semi-models. In Thai air from Delhi->Bangkok they showed us "Along Came Polly" - stupid movie.

Comments:
I got into your blog when researching for what people thinking about Thailand. It's very useful information for my planing trip in Bangkok. Thank you so much...
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?