Thursday, June 03, 2004

 

Bremen



That's what the POSTECH music club is called. It's doesnt mean anything in Korean for sure. I'm not too certain about English either. I think it's a town somewhere in Europe. And there's a folk tale about it.

Anyawys, so tonight in the Students' Union Building (SUB) Cafeteria (it's called Snack Bar, I came to know rather late :-) ) was POSTECH's musical extravaganza. The annual performance by Bremen.... Yoooohoooo! Alright, so you're not excited but I was - fuck man when you've been sitting on your ass all day in front of the computer even looking at the squid swimming in aquariums downtown is exciting (they actually are exciting!)



The Snack Bar at the SUB. This is one of my older photos. Was taken at about 12:00 midnight. Probably the only photos that I exposed correctly in normal room lighting. Had placed the camera on the table (to eliminate shake) and went in for about f/11 aperture with 1/30 speed. I think it's a nice one - atleast for me :-)

So that place above is where Bremen performed. The chairs and tables had been removed ofcourse and the lights were turned down really low, with a couple of red stage lights brought in to set the mood.

There were 3 bands. All the songs they played were in English, except two or three in Korean. There was What's Going On by Four Non Blondes, Breaking the Law by Judas Priest, Scar Tissue by RHCP, some songs by Green Day, and one song which had a nice guitar guitar riff to it... something like - Too-Too-Too-Too-Ti-Ti-Ti-Yeah!-Yeah!-Jhang-Jhang-Jhik-Jhang-Jhang... I hope you get it.

These Koreans are rather tame. Not bhasadis like us. Some of them started headbanging towards the end but the number was really less. No pseudo rockers like in IITK either :-) Y'know the kind who just go up to the stage and start headbanging without understand a freaking word of the lyrics or the music.

I tried a bit of flash photography as well. My T70's got one helluva flash - the one's you can detach. It's almost as big as the camera itself, and it's got more controls than the camera!! I coulnd't find the manual for the flash off the net so I just arbitrarily did something and clicked away. I dont know what the pics will be like, plus this was the first time I'm shooting with a ISO200 speed film.

Why does our music club has difficulty getting female performers? Bremen had one female lead singer (the sole lead singer for the band, mind you, not a side kick), one female keyboardist and one female drummer! And I think some groupies as well! And these girls kicked ass man!

There was this fundoo guitarist. Much better than what I've seen in any college band. Actually the rock scene here is pretty decent. Many people know how to play a lot of stuff. Back there in Delhi, I've noticed that the chinkis play a lot of rock. I think it runs in their blood group Chinki Rock +ve or something (you don't need to say that - I'm pathetic - I know!)

The only thing missing here was good company. I was with Dhamija and Jung Een Lee (my guide here in POSTECH, she's female). Dhamija isn't quite a rocker and well... Jung Eun was sitting - so you get the point :-)

And hey, for a minute I was stunned when they started shouting Ek aur, ek aur - later I realized it was Encore, encore!!

Tan-ten-nen-ten-ten-ten-ten-taooooon.
That's all folks.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?